Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Quality Time

The problem is almost never "not having enough time" in purely quantitative terms. Rather, it is that the time one does have is low quality--tired, low-energy time, interrupted or fragmented time. Think of a month--720 hours--in which you must at some point complete a task that requires 24 hours. It would seem a simple matter to find 24 hours somewhere amid the 720, but it is not always so.

The main factors are time of day, continuity, and appropriate space. In other words, you must find some good quality hours when you aren't exhausted, won't be interrupted, and can be in an appropriate environment.

2 comments:

Clarissa said...

On the days when I teach my three classes, I feel completely drained and incapable even of reading anything more intelligent than books I already read. I love teaching, so I don't know why that happens. It might be because I'm autistic.

Do you get anything productive done after you teach? Do you ever feel completely drained by being very sociable (and enjoying it) or does it give you an emotional high that ends up being very productive?

Jonathan said...

Three classes is a lot for one day, so I don't think it's being autistic that's to blame. Anyone would feel drained after that. I feel that way after two classes.

If the dinner break is long enough, and I haven't had two beers, I can go back to work after teaching. The trick is to read and work on your scholarly base and not worry too much.