Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, February 11, 2011

Self Citation

I'm writing an article right this moment in which I have to cite my own previous publications... a lot. An awful lot. I can't help it. This paper simply draws on just about everything I have written in the last five years.

Usually, I avoid doing self-citation to an excessive degree. It doesn't seem very "classic." I don't see much alternative, however, since the alternative would be self-plagiarism.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

I submitted an article today in which I had to remove an entire paragraph, a whole claim and its support, because all of it was based on my own previous research (some of it in unpublished manuscripts). It would have given away who I am (since who else would have such detailed knowledge of the working papers of an individual scholar).

Jonathan said...

It is only possible in my case because it is an invited contribution.