Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Simplicity (2)

The writing group is really helping me, even though it only puts into practice principles that I developed myself from reading Thomas's blog and working along similar lines in SMT.

When I observe others attempting to put these principles into practice I also notice where they are successful and where they are not. This helps me too.

Some members propose several goals for a week, whereas I make sure that my goal is always a single one related to both the short term and long term project. I like to be single-minded and clear about what I want to get done and whether I get it done or not, and it seems to me that multiple goals cloud the waters a bit. I might even have a few secondary goals, but I don't bother to write those down.

That way I always have very clear sight of the relation between long term project, short term project, and weekly goal. I can juggle three balls very easily, but four is beyond my competence.

6 comments:

Clarissa said...

This is an interesting suggestion about choosing just one goal and sticking to it. This sounds like something that might really work for me. I'll try it next week.

brownstudy said...

I've read that the Marines have a "rule of 3", along the lines of not having more than 3 active projects at once. Asking them to keep more than 3 in mind risks confusion. Hence, prioritization and eating only what's on your plate rather than going back to buffet, if I may introduce a food metaphor.

fjb said...

Hmm. I agree that distributing your time and attention among as few projects as possible is optimal, and that deciding which of one's potential goals are currently "active" is in important skill. However, a well-published tenured professor may be in a somewhat better position to exercise that skill than some other writers, academic and otherwise. Given my own mix of journalistic and scholarly activities, for example, it is very important that I be able to complete short projects (such as responding to editors on a deadline) while not losing touch with a longer, self-directed project (such as writing a book proposal) for days or weeks at a time. I do agree that it is unwise to fool yourself into thinking you can keep more than one "big" project on the front burner at once. But overall, I think that this advice risks making some writers feel bad or defeated about not having reached the position from which your way of handling goals is feasible.

Jonathan said...

That's a good point. What I do is to keep active in responding to emails and the like, but without confusing that sort of activity with the big picture.

Even in a busy, cluttered week, there are probably 3 things that you really have to pay attention to.

Jonathan said...

... and I would never want anyone to feel bad about not having a well-developed approach to these matters. Even small simplifications can be effective in organizing one's task management. I am constantly redeveloping my own approach as well.

fjb said...

Fair enough. (I'm probably a mite defensive on this issue.)