Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, May 5, 2016

The Inside makes the Outside Sound Good

Monk told Steve Lacy, apparently, that the inside of a song (the bridge or B section of a 32 bar AABA form) made the outside (the A sections) sound good. That's brilliant. I feel that structural impulse in my own very modest compositional efforts. It is hard to write a good bridge which is stitched tightly together with the A sections and makes them sound good. The bridge should sound good in its own right, be different but related to the rest, and then lead back into the final A section and the conclusion. I think my bridge to "Italian Movie Theme" is excellent.

No comments: