Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, January 11, 2018

100 rejections

I'm doing this thing where I am trying to get rejected 100 times. I don't agree with the original premise of the 100 rejections idea, where you ask random people for trivial and annoying favors. I don't believe in annoying people or being creepy. I am doing it by submitting poems and the like. I've applied to grade AP exams in the summer, etc...

The idea is to get over the fear of rejection by seeking it out deliberately.  Of course, the added benefit is that you could get published more, or have other opportunities.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG if you grade AP exams you will just have to blog about it, except that you have to sign all these confidentiality papers.

It would be so funny to write about, though, the whole experience of it and the characters involved.

Thomas Basbøll said...

Great idea. I recommend scholars make a rejection plan rather than a publication plan. Maybe we should give a scholar tenure, not after publishing X amount of articles, but after getting 100 rejections!

Jonathan said...

Have you graded those? I was rejected last time I applied.

The idea is not to get rejected on purpose. You must have at least some sense that you will not be rejected. But there are situations in which rejection is more probable than acceptance.

Anonymous said...

3 years in a row, strictly for the money. Spanish literature AP. I liked it the first time because it was in Cincinnatti, it was an adventure, I liked the roommate I got, and I liked my table leader. The next two years it was in Lexington KY with bad food, awful food, and very claustrophobic grading rooms. I started to question grading standards and methodology, and the high school and provincial college types started to dislike me, and the astute people started telling me I now had a target on my back. Last year I was not invited. It is an interesting experience and you learn some things worth learning, but you are supposed to be a fan and acolyte and want to move in and up with them, and I am not interested enough in commercial standardized tests for HS students (it is a very conservative exam and not in a good way). Anyway I hope they take you and you go so we can discuss it.